A little tip for new forum admins

blam0

One thing I learnt is start off with a small amount of categories, if you have lots of categories with not many posts then it will look like a dead site. Also too many categories can make it daunting for new members to learn where things are.

Keep it simple, keep it clean and easy :) :mrgreen:

Advertising:
very good advice, blam0!
It's frequently neglected. Have a lot of forums sometimes not work for bigger communities also as it make people lost in their structure.

Yeah even when your site is huge the large ammount of categories can be daunting to your users and they wont know where to post! If they feel this way, they may not post at all.

And if you "absolutely" need a lot of categories right from the start try to keep a few main ones and make the rest childboards to neaten it up. :)

I've quite often used lots of categories and had not many posts, as soon as I cut down on some empty categories I noticed a lot more people interested in the site, so can def vouch for this idea!

Advertising:
Whenever you start up a new community, just remember what your intent is, or what you are going after. People tend to get out of hand and think "they can provide all and be best out there," and I guarantee you that those people will not go anywhere!

Those who start with few specific target, and then expand as community expands, will be successful.

Back