Buying and grabbing domain names

Schucz

I was surprised as I just received an email from Snapnames (a domain drop catching service) concerning a *.org domain which I’ve backordered last year has dropped and was successfully captured.

And since there was another person placing the same order the domain was entered in a private auction between us (the domain goes to the highest bidder and Snapnames earn more moolah!). Luckily there was no bidding war and I won with my default bid of $59.

sedo.jpg

Since now I own the *.org name I might as well try and get the *.com and *.net version right? Too bad for me the *.com name is under the ownership of a cyber squatting company, unless I pay a premium price of five digits and above there’s little chance of me ever getting it. A quick search for the *.net version brought me to a Sedo (a marketplace for buying and selling of domain names) listing. The owner wanted to sell the *.net name for $60 which I promptly offered.

The domain name is nothing to shout about, I’m not even sure if it’s a good investment. It’s related to a hobby and quite popular in Asia. Do I even have the time to develop it? Will update this post once I’ve acquired the domain.

Advertising:
Back