Forum Software Information

m1k30rz

Here is a list of popular forum software. If you know of another script please reply to this and I will add it :)

phpBB - FREE
With a large and highly customisable set of key features coupled with a standards compliant interface, phpBB™ will grow with, and compliment your website. With millions of installations worldwide, it is no wonder phpBB™ is one of the most popular ways to create and support a community.

vBulletin - Paid $160 for Owned, $85 for Leased
vBulletin is a professional, affordable community forum solution. Thousands of clients, including many industry leading blue chip companies, have chosen vBulletin - It's the ideal choice for any size of community.

MyBB - FREE
MyBB is a powerful, efficient, multilingual, standards-compliant and free forum package. MyBB places full control over your discussion board at the tip of your fingers.

Invision Power Board - Paid + FREE DEMO $149.99 Standard, $299.99 Business
As the very core of our Community Suite package, we've made sure that IP.Board is an outstanding bulletin board system. The result of of over seven years experience in developing bulletin board software, IP.Board brings powerful and practical features while remaining intuitive and flexible - and it's now blazing fast too.

Simple Machines Forum (SMF) - FREE
A free, professional grade software package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes. Its powerful custom made template engine puts you in full control of the lay-out of your message board and with our unique SSI - or Server Side Includes - function you can let your forum and your website interact with each other.

YaBB (Yet Another Bulletin Board) - FREE
YaBB is a leading FREE, Open Source community forum system (bulletin board, message board) written in Perl.

Advertising:
A lot of people seem to be using YABBA. I personally haven't got any experience with it, but it seems rather large.

I believe blockstar is more for building websites though...

Blockstar is a website building and hosting service that lets you create web pages, blogs, text documents, and photo galleries using our free website builder. From uploading a single image to making a full website, Blockstar can put your life online. Get started now and discover the easiest and most flexible website builder on the market.

Of all the software that has been posted above, I have only try and use SMF, it is quite simple and easy to use. It also has lots of add-on for your forum using SMF.

I think vBulletin is without question a clear winner in terms of security, looks, features, and stability, and would therefore be the most effective forum software on the market in my opinion. It's definitely something you might want to check out, and there seems to be a lot of cheap licenses being sold on Digital Point. Just make sure the licenses are valid before purchasing them.

i want to give u my opinion
Before choosing your own forum check out [ADMINEDIT] Many of free forums have a lot of vulnerabilities and malicious people may control your own community... so you could waste a lot of days creating a cool comunity, and suddenly someone ruins your work...
I suggest to buy vBulletin!

ADMINCOMMENT: Thats one scary link! really shows how vulnerable some forum softwares are, better not have that link around here though for legal reasons, sorry.

Advertising:
That is very true vBulletin would be by far the most secure choice, although it too has security problems from time to time, as does everything really! Sorry I had to edit out that link as we could get in trouble for linking to sites like that.

Back