How Often Do You Backup?

Kel

The first forum I ever had was a lot of work for me. It took me forever to get members, I spent ages changing the design and making it look good.

Finally when it was starting to get rolling something happened with my host and I lost everything. And I had no backup! :eek:

So I have learned from that mistake ( D'oh ) and now do backups often.

How often do you backup your site?

Advertising:
Sooo true!! Well I think a great start is to get a reliable hosting company that has been around for awhile with good reviews.

I also have fallen into the "huge forum, no backups, hosting company went broke without notice, lost all data" trap... IT SUCKS.

So now I try to backup at least once a week, but whenever I add something big to the site I tend to do a backup when its complete :)

I make a backup at least once every week and if I make a big change to the site I make a backup right away.

I also make backups before making big changes to the site just in case an error pops up :).

Yeah whenever I add mods to phpBB or anything like that I always do a backup! one time I didnt and I had a massive database error that took a long time to fix :(

I used to do backups daily when I was on free hosting because you know the problems about the free hostings. But when I moved on to paid hosting I reduced the number of times I did my backups. Now it's been a month and I have not backed up my forum but I think I will do it today.

We backup everything on a very regular basis.

Firstly, we operate weekly backups internally as well as externally via servers in the datacentres and to an external hard drive (for safe keeping)

Secondly, our hosting servers are backed up daily, weekly and monthly. When it comes to data etc, you simply cannot be too careful.

Sure, we are not responsible for client backups, but for our own safe keeping, our servers are all backed up on this timetable.

Thirdly, our website runs on 3 servers at any one time, being 1 main public viewed and 2 development viewed internal to our network ready for firing up to the web servers should an issue ever occur.

You can't be too careful these days and we cover all bases where we can and we even offer backup solutions to our clients so they know they can be safe too.

Regards,

Dale Evans
Manager

my hosting do regular backups too(I think they backup databases daily and the rest files on weekly basis). Personally I don't do backups regularly but when I've messed two times in the past with database I've just contacted my hosting and they return me to previous backup which was pretty fresh.

This is an extremely good point make regular back-ups as stated as old posts make good reading and are all picked up via search engines so it brings in lots of traffic.

Advertising:
Back