How to get rid of spams

blam0

I have these people putting adult links on my forum spamming all the time, I want to know how to stop them

Advertising:
Are you making use of the CAPATCHA function? Also its a great idea to make sure the email user validation is enabled. This helps to ensure a "real" person is signing up.

There is also a method of inserting a custom feild in your registration like "how do you spell dog" robots that spam your site arent smart enough to read this and comprehend it and will fail the registration.

Hope this helps!

I'm sure it will :D Without that its really easy for bots to signup to your forum and start the spam going

my forum is online from 2002 so there was lot of spam attacks on it, most are made by robots not humans.
We've tried several options like limiting guests from posting, turning on confirmation mails for registration, banning IPs.
But after all experiments our forum is using this:
- If it's robot attack CAPTCHA would stop them.
- There is no need to limit guests posting, just limit them posting URLs as spammers are coming for inbound links not to contribute some text... Some would try to post message anyway but this is what you have moderators for.
- We don't issue confirmation mail as such protection seems to be overridden by most spammers, just CAPTCHA code and if spammer is really annoying banning his IP should help.

You could also enable admin activation. That can chase some users away though.
Also Google spam emails and block them from joining.

Yep, thats a great idea but I'd only use it as a last resort if the spam gets really bad, a lot of people wont want to wait for the admin to validate them and go elsewhere.

I dont really want to enable admin activation just yet. The capatcha seems to be working fine so far!

Advertising:
Back