Backups for shared hosting

BigRed

Does anyone know if companies backup their servers for a shared hosting account. I was just wondering what would happen if I lost my site.

Advertising:
Every serious host makes backups but never rely on the backups of your host! Sometimes backups don't work or maybe they get out of business leaving you alone with a non working site!

Always make backups yourself or use a second reliable company for backups!

There are numerous scripts including cpanel that will do backups for you. Just do one every other day or every weekend. This will give you less worry.

Acutally I found this great site that had a backup script. The best part is the script runs everyday at 6am and makes a backup of my site. I really like it.

I often back up the files on my webservers, but it's easy to forget the MySQL data. Always remember to back it up, as well as all the related information to get it running again.

I lost a complete forum DB in a server move once, even with standard cPanel backups.

All competitive hosting companies are providing backups, but i would also suggest don't trust on single backup.
There are few factors need to be consider as below;
1. Number of backups,
2. Frequency of backups,
3. Storage Media for backups,
4. location and
5. Most important factor is that retrieval of backup.

I would suggest, you have to take backups yourself locally. You could take service from quality and reliable backup solutions provider companies for remote backups.

Re: Backups

Almost all good hosts have good back up services for their clients. Further we can back up the files on our own by logging into the cpanel and the ftp account and it is an easy process to do too.

Re: Backups

Is doing a backup as simple as going to the FTP and then downloading what is there to our own computers? I backup all of my files for my websites, but as far as the server itself goes, I'm not sure what is involved in that, which is why I ask if just downloading whatever other files show up is considered a backup of the site. If not, how exactly do you do it if you don't actually own the server?

Web hosting backups are absolutely essential if you are using a shared server. There are many instances where a single account of a shared hosting server has crashed the entire server.

Almost all serious hosting companies will have daily/weekly backups. and you can also use the backup feature in your control panel and shedule a weekly FTP backup to a remote server.

Advertising:
Back