How to start up a new community

I think its best to start a forum with something you are interested in so you can join in the discussion and constantly bring new things to the forum :)

Advertising:
I'm interested in too many things, that's the problem. I could go with Sports, Tech, Programming, Game Design and Development, or Video Games.

Theres not so many programming forums out there if you are really good with those you should make a site on programming

Dough Boy said:
I'm interested in too many things, that's the problem. I could go with Sports, Tech, Programming, Game Design and Development, or Video Games.
unfortunately it seems that having forum which cover very different topics may not work, I'm also interested in many different things and when I've tried to implement them to own forums some boards worked and some didn't simply because there was too little audience with same interests.
Also Zombo is right, I didn't seen too much communities covering programming, and actually topics you've mentioned are all a bit related to each other so I guess you may try to start new community with your interests.

I'm sort of leaning towards a programming forum, since there aren't too many out there. I'm a learning programmer, myself. But creating a community around it hardly requires the knowledge of it.

But creating a community around it hardly requires the knowledge of it.
indeed, unless you have knowledge yourself or have friends who help you out it would be tricky to do and people may quickly loose interest to such forum. Anyway if you decide to create community, send me a message, I'll try to drop by as I'm programmer and your forum maybe interesting for me.

Definitely a very good list of basics everyone should cover before getting started. I think it's also good to try and separate yourself from the competing forums, by offering a table of discussion they currently do not. Forums also tend to work well with viral advertising, and pulling off some sort of stunt while offering some sort of prize give away, will in my opinion yield sizable results.

Advertising:
Back